23-year-old dies from allergic reaction to dairy ice cream at meat restaurant

A 23-year-old woman with a milk allergy died Wednesday night after she was served dairy ice cream at a kosher meat restaurant in northern Israel.

Kosher restaurants typically serve either meat products or dairy products, but not both.

Police opened an investigation into the incident, shut down the restaurant in the town of Rosh Pina and detained five employees, including the owner and the chef, on suspicion of negligent homicide. The suspects were released to house arrest after law enforcement determined that they had not acted intentionally.

The victim was later identified as Osher Deri from the nearby town of Hatzor Haglilit.

Deri was rushed to Safed’s Ziv Medical Center when she started feeling unwell after eating her dessert. Doctors were forced to declare her death shortly upon her arrival.

An initial investigation found that the victim had ordered ice cream, assuming it was pareve (not dairy or meaty) as the restaurant was kosher and could not serve dairy with meat.

The chef, 19, had earlier noticed that they were out of ice cream and ordered a co-worker to run to the store and purchase some. However, the employee allegedly bought dairy ice cream by mistake.

The victim did not have her epinephrine pen on her at the time of the allergic reaction.

Source Link: https://www.timesofisrael.com/23-year-old-dies-from-allergic-reaction-to-dairy-ice-cream-at-meat-restaurant/

Recommended For You