Britain’s Mark Cavendish has made history in the Tour de France by equalling Belgian great Eddy Merckx’s record of 34 stage wins.
The Deceuninck-Quick Step rider won the sprint into Carcassonne by a few inches ahead of team-mate Michael Morkov.
Briton Simon Yates of Team Bike Exchange abandoned the race following a crash in which several riders fell down a ravine.
“It’s what I dreamed of as a kid. I’ve worked so hard for it,” said Cavendish.
Tadej Pogacar of UAE-Team Emirates remains in the leader’s yellow jersey.
Cavendish added: “I’m so dead – 220km in that heat, in that wind. I went so deep there – they boys were incredible. I can’t believe it.
“A lot of the day I didn’t feel like it would happen, I was so on the limit at the end.
“I haven’t realised it [was the record] – it’s another win on the Tour.”
More to follow
Stage 13 results
1. Mark Cavendish (GB/Deceunick-Quick-Step) 5hrs 04mins 29secs
2. Michael Morkov (Den/Deceunick-Quick-Step) Same time
3. Jasper Philipsen (Bel/Alpecin-Fenix)
4. Ivan Garcia (Sap/Movistar)
5. Danny van Poppel (Ned/Intermarche-Wanty-Gobert)
6. Alex Aranburu (Spa/Astana)
7. Christophe Laporte (Fra/Cofidis)
8. Andre Greipel (Ger/Israel Start-Up Nation)
9. Magnus Cort (Den/EF Education-Nippo)
10. Jasper Stuyen (Bel/Trek-Segafredo)
General classification after stage 13:
1. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE Team Emirates) 52hrs 27mins 12secs
2. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Education Nippo) + 5mins 18secs
3. Jonas Vingegaard (Den/Jumbo Visma) +5mins 32secs
4. Richard Carapaz (Ecu/Ineos Grenadiers) +5mins 33secs
5. Ben O’Connor (Aus/AG2R Citroen) +5mins 58secs
6. Wilco Kelderman (Ned/Bora-Hansgrohe) +6mins 16secs
7. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz/Astana) +6mins 30secs
8. Enric Mas (Spa/Movistar) +7mins 11secs
9. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +9mins 29secs
10. Pello Bilbao (Spa/Bahrain Victorious) +10mins 28secs
Source Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57725179