Charges said dropped against knife-carrying Jordanians who entered Israel

Jordan’s Foreign Ministry announced on Tuesday that Israel had agreed to drop charges against two Jordanian nationals who crossed into Israel during the military conflict with Hamas last month, according to the Walla news site.

There was no comment from Israel on the matter.

The two men, identified as Khalifa al-Anouz and Musab al-Dajeh, crossed into the country on May 16, while Israel was in the midst of Operation Guardian of the Walls. The pair were allegedly armed with knives when they were captured.

Following their arrest, Jordan’s Foreign Ministry summoned the Israeli ambassador in protest of Israel’s detention of the two Jordanian citizens.

The ministry said it wanted to “convey a strongly worded protest message pertaining to the detention of two Jordanians in Israel” during the meeting with Ambassador Amir Weissbrod, as well as to demand their release.

Jordanian police officers surround protesters during a demonstration in solidarity with Palestinians, in the town of Karameh on the border with Israel, on May 21, 2021. (Khalil MAZRAAWI / AFP)

Around half of Jordan’s population of 10 million is of Palestinian origin, including some 2.2 million refugees registered with the United Nations.

Throughout the 11-day conflict last month between Israel and the Hamas terror group that rules the Gaza Strip, demonstrations were held almost daily in Jordan in solidarity with the Palestinians, including demands for the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador.

Source Link: https://www.timesofisrael.com/charges-said-dropped-against-knife-carrying-jordanians-who-entered-israel/

Recommended For You